Saturday, September 12, 2009

Propagating Tomato

Basic of propagating :

1. Stem Cutting : Softwood, hardwood, tip cutting
3. Grafting
4. Dividing
5. Seeding
Rooting Medium : Peat moss, perlite, sand, vermiculite, water
Rooting hormone such as comercial stuff , water from willow's twig also work well
I like free plant and I like to learn how to get that. So far I propagate plant by stem cutting ( softwood and tip cutting ). I use peat moss mixed with perlite for medium, but if just thin stem cutting, I use peat pellet, that way I can see the plant is growing when the root come out.

Propagating tomato:
We can propagate tomato by stem cutting and get fruit in the same time of the season.
I took stem cutting from the sucker, as we know that we can pinch tomato sucker to promote better fruit. So, I rather take the sucker to get more plant. Just cut the stem right under the leaf node. Dip it to rooting hormone for about 1.5 cm.
I use peat pellet for rooting medium, make a hole on it using chop stick or pencil.
Put the plant on the medium and make sure it is not fall over.
Create humidity by cover it with clear plastic bag or other stuff that can create humidity. I use a box from baked chicken he he he, I know that is funny, but it is work really good. My Hubby said that is chicken dome , lol.
The cutting has root on a week. As we can see on the picture with red arrow pointing on to the root. Then I transplant it to 1 gal pot . It grow really good and bearing fruit at the same time in the season with all those tomatos.

No comments:

Post a Comment