Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Propagating coleus


I bought coleus in late spring, and I know it is annual plant here, instead of buy the same plant on the next season, so I make it more plant. Those item are what I need, this time I use perlite for rooting medium. Actually we can propagate coleus in water as well, they can depelove root easily.
I took tip cutting just below the leaf node about 4 inch , then trim the leaf below the tip, dip it to rooting hormone about 1 inch, put the cutting on perlite as rooting medium.Water it thoroughly. If the perlite is wet or too much water, it is OK, as long as the pot has hole for drainage.
Cover it with plastic to create humidity, I'm recycling chicken dome for it as always. I know it sounds funny. But it is work for propagating plant. Place the cutting in the shade, out of direct sunlight. Take off the cover everyday for 1 minute, to get the air circulation.
After 2 weeks, the plant has root readily, it is time to repot them.

No comments:

Post a Comment